Posted by Anonymous on 2009-10-21
Tags: Funding Sources DPO Funds
Posted by MedTech Expert on 2008-01-01
Tags: Preparation Hedge Funds
1. Generally lack hands-on business building know-how. Provide little if any problem solving capability.
2. Are use to getting into and out of stocks (public) quickly and do not like being in the "roach hotel" when things get tough. Will be hot and cold on investing in future rounds unless they stand to lose alot.
3. They travel in different circles so their networks are generally useless for start-ups.
4. Provide little if any operating advice - recruiting, compensation plans, insurances, MIS, etc. - as they have no resources or experience to draw from.
5. Are generally overcommitted and do not provide the commitment as other board members.
6. Some parade as venture investors but as part of a larger private equity fund, I can assure you they are not.